Happy New Year everyone! For our first post of 2016, we will talk about classic items to invest in, and start the year off in style with wise purchases. When it comes to wardrobe essentials, we are big believers of INVESTING. These items are classic staples that work with any outfit, never goes out of style, and will last you a lifetime.
There’s a little rebel in all of us, and we channel that through our leather jackets. This classic item is probably on every single investment piece post, and it is well worth it. Many brands never put their basic black leather jacket on sale. It is not trend driven, the style doesn’t change much, and black goes with everything. It is a great item to throw on for that coffee run on a chilly day, or for a night out in town.
Since they don’t tend to go on sale, take advantage of blanket promotions retailers run mid and end of seasons, you can at least get 20-30% off the original price.
1. Vince Leather Scuba Jacket $995.00
2. Madewell Washed Leather Motorcycle Jacket $498.00
3. IRO Jone Leather Jacket $1,290.00
4. BB Dakota Quentin Zip Off Lapel Leather Jacket $375.00
5. Veda Lazer Classic Jacket $898.00
6. Veda Maximum Jacket $935.00
These booties are made for walking. Notice we say booties, not boots. Booties, you can pretty much wear year round. Tall boots and over the knee boots? Not so much, as you will be sweating your legs off when it is 90 degrees out in the summer. Booties are versatile, and you can pair them with almost any outfit. The investment of good brands is important when it comes to comfort level and quality of leather. Walking in a stiff pair of booties with minimal cushion is painful.
1. Joie Ajax Suede Booties in Slate $295.00
2. Sam Edelman Petty Suede Booties in Putty $135.00
3. Sam Edelman Louie Suede Fringe Booties in Black $160.00
4. Rag & Bone Classic Newbury Booties in Black $525.00
5. Rag & Bone Harrow Suede Booties in Camel $525.00
6. Sam Edelman Alyssa Stretch Booties in Black $150.00
When it comes to bags, Chanel is the holy grail. Once you’ve saved up and decided to make your first Chanel purchase, go with a classic body, be it new or vintage. The thing with a classic Chanel bag is… they get more and more expensive. Chanel adjusts their prices every year, upwards, guaranteed, so buy sooner than later! When in doubt, always go with the 2.55, or a Vintage Jumbo XL Flap if you like giant bags, or a classic cross body if you want something small. As long as you use it with care and love, these babies will never go out of style, and can be passed down to your great granddaughter some day.
If you haven’t already noticed, Chanel is one of the the few brands that doesn’t have an online presence, which makes it even more precious! Trusted resellers are your only best bets if you want to purchase online. Some of the sites we frequent are The Real Real and Portero.
Leave that big rock for the future hubby, but if you have money to spare, spoil yourself with a little sparkle. So many jewelry pieces these days have accent diamonds in them that do not cost an arm and a leg. Whether it is a ring, a bracelet, or a dainty necklace, we all deserve to own a piece of “girl’s best friend” with our hard earned money, because it is so much more satisfying. Plus it elevates anything you wear, and never goes out of style.
1. Adina Reyter Small Pave Curve Necklace in 14k Gold $375.00
2. Monica Vinader Ava Button Bracelet in Sterling Silver with Diamond $350.00
3. EF Collection Diamond Love Ring in 14k Gold Plate $625.00
4. Ariel Gordon Jewelry Dual Diamond Ring in 14k Gold $253.00
5. Jennifer Meyer Jewelry 18k Gold Thin Diamond Ring $175.00
6. Gabriela Artigas Pave Diamond Mini Axis Ring in 14k Yellow Gold $265.00
7. Monica Vinader Riva Diamond Shore Stud Earrings in 18k Rose Gold Plated Vermeil on Sterling Silver $255.00
8. Zoe Chicco Staggered Bar Stud Earrings in 14k Gold $385.00
Nothing comes in between you and your denim, well except your undies. When we say investment jeans, we are referring to basic skinny jeans in a wash that can be worn anywhere, anytime. No distressed, no bell bottoms, no color splatters, just good old basic denim. It is hard to find the perfect fit for your height and body type with so many brands out there, but just keep looking and trying. When you find the perfect pair, stock up on at least another pair in case they get discontinued or damaged. There is nothing worse than not being able to replace your favorite pair of jeans.
1. AG The Legging Jeans in Delight $168.00
2. J Brand Jeans Photo Ready Maria High Rise Skinny in Vanity $189.00
3. DL1961 Emma Legging Jeans in Albany $168.00
4. Paige Denim Jeans Transcend Verdugo Ultra Skinny in Tonal Mona $179.00
5. AG The Nikki Relaxed Skinny Jeans in 8 Years Escape $225.00
6. Rag & Bone/JEAN The Skinny Jeans in Bedford $198.00
We included pointed toe shoes as one of the items in our 10 Practical Tips to Look Instantly Chic post, so of course we are including them in our classic items to invest list! Pointed toe shoes not only elongate your legs visually, they make your outfit look instantly polished. Since the toe box is narrow, it is even more important to invest in a comfortable pair, but well worth the extra money spent, and your feet will thank you.
1. Alexander Wang Lovisa Pump $495.00
2. Sam Edelman Rae Flats in Black $100.00
3. Aquazzura Christy Flats in Black $675.00
4. Valentino Rockstud Slingback Pumps $995.00
5. Loeffler Randall Milla Scallop Flats $250.00
6. Manolo Blahnik Suede BB $595.00
We’ve said it many times, sunglasses Frame Your Face. They are the first thing people notice on your face when they see you. These days sunglasses come in a variety of styles and an even wider range of price points. How much you spend depends on your bank account. Style-wise try not go too much with the trend, but what truly works for your style and your everyday outfits. At the end of the day, sunglasses are there to protect our eyes from the sun and the UV rays, so it is important to invest in a quality pair that can actually do its intended job.
1. Ray-Ban Original Aviator Sunglasses in Gold/Green $150.00
2. Karen Walker The Harvest Sunglasses in Black $280.00
3. DITA Condor Aviator Sunglasses in Dark Brown $395.00
4. Oliver Peoples Eyewear Jacey Polarized Sunglasses in Tortoise/Brown $325.00
5. Dior So Real Metal & Plastic Sunglasses in Palladium $545.00
6. Prada Overzied Baroque Round Sunglasses in Black $300.00
A classic timepiece that never goes out of style of course makes the list. Watches aren’t just for telling time anymore, they are jewelry pieces. Although we use our phones to tell time these days, watches are here to stay, and are true investments when it comes to premium brands like Rolex and Cartier, as they appreciate in value year after year. Maybe dad’s watch collection doesn’t seem so boring after all? Of course, not everyone can afford a Rolex or Cartier, luckily there are many brands out there that offer classic styles at much more affordable prices.
1. RumbaTime Soho Suede Watch in Pewter $60.00
2. Nixon The Minx Watch in Rose Gold $350.00
3. Tory Burch Sawyer Watch in Gold-tone Mesh/etched $695.00
4. Larsson & Jennings Läder Calf Leather Watch in Black $360.00
5. Cartier Tank Anglaise Watch Medium Model $5,450.00
6. Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust 36 Watch in Steel and Yellow Gold
The possibilities with a white button down is endless. It works for every occasion, day or night, casual or dressy, it never fails. It is like a plain canvas, ready to be painted into whatever your heart desires. Yes, you can easily score an inexpensive one at Forever 21 or H&M, but the fit and quality aren’t the same, and you will find yourself keep buying replacements after a few washes. A white button down is an investment piece. It is there for your very first job interview, and it is there for your grandkid’s college graduation. The perfect white button down will last you a lifetime.
1. Club Monaco Maraie Silk Shirt $149.50
2. Equipment Signature Blouse in Bright White $218.00
3. J.Crew Boy Shirt in Classic White $69.50
4. Theory Tenia Luxe Shirt $245.00
5. GAP Fitted Boyfriend Oxford Shirt $49.95
6. McGuire Denim Mercenery Shirt $180.00
For those cold days and nights when a leather jacket isn’t enough to keep us warm, we need our coats. A good quality coat will last you a good several seasons, if not a lifetime. One of our moms bit the bullet and bought an iconic Max Mara camel coat years ago, and it is still sitting pretty in her closet, not looking a day out of style. Right now is the perfect time to score a deal on winter coats as retailers try to get rid of leftover inventory.
1. Burberry Sandringham Fit Cashmere Trench Coat in Camel $2,595.00
2. Harris Wharf London Shawl Collar Wool Coat in Caramel $525.00
3. Mackage Felipa Wool Coat with Fur Collar in Black $790.00
4. Club Monaco Robeeka Speckled Coat $449.00
5. Mackage Trish Coat in Black $950.00
6. Soia & Kyo Ariane Winter Wool Parka with Fur Hood in Camel $485.00
Now that you have the list of classic items to invest in, start acquiring, you will not regret this.